Hazardous Chemical Spills
This course applies to personnel who respond to an incident involving dangerous goods and hazardous substances and provides the skills and knowledge to identify and assess the hazards and risks and contribute to procedures to be adopted when confronted by a hazardous materials situation, including appropriate PPE clothing and equipment.
‘Hazardous materials incident’ is a generic term used to refer to an incident involving any material such as dangerous goods and hazardous substances that poses an unreasonable risk to life, property and the environment. Although this course is non-accredited, it has been developed with reference to associated Australian Standard, WHS Legislation and Safety Data Sheet including classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS).
- Understanding the main points of hazardous materials
- (HAZMAT) Legislation
- Identify types of HazMat incidents
- Understanding of HAZCHEM Codes
- Understanding of HazMat Guidelines
- Select, don, test and safely operate appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment at an incident involving dangerous goods and hazardous substances.
- Methods of contamination
- Safe working practices at HazMat incidents
- Information on DATACHEM (computerised dangerous substance database)
- Essential and non-essential services
- Situation and information monitoring
- Simulated scenario on containments and clean up
Note: There is no Breathing Apparatus component in this program.